Seoul, Aug. 20 (Jiji Press)–North Korea launched around 10 short-range ballistic missiles toward the Sea of Japan from an area near Pyongyang on Thursday, the South Korean military said. Japanese Defense Minister Shinjiro Koizumi told reporters during his visit to India that the ballistic missiles are believed to have already fallen outside Japan’s exclusive economic zone. The missiles are estimated to have reached altitudes of up to about 90 kilometers and traveled roughly 320 kilometers, according to the ministry. North Korea previously launched ballistic missiles on Aug. 6 and 12. The latest missile launches appear to be in response to the Ulchi Freedom Shield large-scale joint military exercise by the United States and South Korea, which began Monday. The drill was scaled down and shortened on the orders of U.S. President Donald Trump, and it is now scheduled to end Friday. Trump had voiced eagerness to hold a meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, but the latest missile launches appear to have dampened the U.S. president’s hopes. Kim Jong Un’s younger sister, Kim Yo Jong, said Wednesday that the reduction in the scale and duration of the exercise did not change its provocative and offensive nature. “The series of North Korean actions threaten the peace and security of our country, the region and the international community,” Koizumi said. Japan has lodged a protest with North Korea through diplomatic channels. END [Copyright The Jiji Press, Ltd.]
N. Korea Fires Ballistic Missiles toward Sea of Japan